Friday, February 14, 2014

survival

It's what Valentine's Day is all about. Survival of the fittest. Otherwise, the kinders will eat you alive. They came in this morning flying high, ready to pass out their Thanksgiving cards (for some reason, they know it is Valentine's Day, but they think they are making Thanksgiving cards, I'm at a loss). They then ate sugar filled waffles for breakfast. And I had to calm them down enough to get our Friday assessments in before allowing them to slip into party mode. Lets me say, assessments on Valentine's Day are not the best idea on earth, the results were dismal. Oh well, sometimes we just need to roll with the punches. We'll keep going over the material during interventions until they get it down pat.

While Valentine's Day may not be my favorite, I am very thankful that my parents are listening to my request for healthy treats this year. Last year each student went home with a plate with a dozen of assorted cupcakes and cookies. This year, the treats that were provided were chips and crackers (better than cookies and cupcakes), homemade jello, bananas, and mandarin oranges. Success!

Or, so I thought. When the kiddos started handing out their valentines, packed away in their bags were cookies. Then a mother brought in cupcakes and bags of candy. And she didn't leave.

Since this mother didn't leave the classroom, she was able to see her child acting out and receiving warnings of being sent to the principal's office instead of being able to participate in party activities. She reminded her child several times to follow the rules. Then the kinder received a final notice and we walked to the office together.

The principal asked mom to come to the office, the student was sent home for the day, which meant no party. Mom came into the classroom and yelled at me, saying that I was unfair to her child. We walked into the hall, and after she started swearing at me and saying she wanted her child pulled from my class, we went to the principal's office so that there was a mediator (and a witness) for the ensuing conversation (thank goodness for assistants).

In the end, the principal and I got mom calmed down, let her vent about her relationship with the student's father, and have a promise to have her reconsider wanting to take her child out of my classroom. On Tuesday, at parent teacher conferences, we will see what she has to say.

Whoever decided that holiday parties were a good idea was not a teacher. Thank goodness this was the last major party of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment