Monday, November 4, 2013

early release

Today we had a half day. Since it's hard to have any meaningful instruction on half days, kindergarten decided to use the day to do unit benchmark tests for both language arts and math. I am happy to report that my kinders did a pretty awesome job. Of the thirteen students that came to school today (another reason to avoid meaningful instruction - poor attendance) ten scored proficient on both the math and language arts assessments. I can now alter my strategic intervention groups to provide more intensive support to those students still needing to master skills from our first quarter (plus a couple of weeks) of instruction.

I wish that the day had remained pretty awesome. However, our professional development was teaching other teachers how to use the online resources for our content area materials. I played on my computer. Oh well, at least we were out early.

To end on a positive note though, we played some sight words around the world this morning while we were waiting for busses to arrive. The kinders were super excited and cheering one another on. Every student won at least one word. They're rock stars!

And, as an added bonus, I had a great "things they say" this morning:
" Mrs. Hall, do you know what I did yesterday? We had dirt in our house. And I dug in it. And I found a T-Rex bone. Then I found another one. Then we found two skulls. Then my dad said that we had to burry them again after he fixed the pipes."
I'm not exactly sure what was happening, but this kiddo was super excited about his story. He shared it as soon as he walked into the classroom. Then he told all of his friends during breakfast. Then he shared again during our morning sharing time. Either he's going to be an amazing author or story teller one day, or there just happen to be dinosaur bones in the foundation of his house.

No comments:

Post a Comment