Thursday, August 8, 2013

pd

Today is my first official day back to school. With the start of each new school year teachers are brought together to experience what is deceivingly called professional development. We sit through endless hours of conversation that may or may not be related to the actual teaching profession. Throughout the full day of becoming better developed for my profession, I do have the opportunity to catch up with and joke around with my fellow teachers. And for this, I am grateful. As a teacher I spend most of my time with waist high little learners, so I appreciate this time that I get to spend with my peers.

Would I appreciate exposure to some new developments in the teaching profession, or simply be introduced to old and proven practices? Sure. But since I know that that is not what I am going to get, I sit back and enjoy the company that surrounds me. I enjoy laughing as much as the next person, and I have fellow teachers that are good at making me do just that. We'll leave the actual pd for tomorrow (according the the schedule we'll actually be trained on how to use the new math resources that our district has adapted).

One weight that has been lifted off of my shoulders during today's pd is that my assistant is indeed back! As a kinder teacher I am blessed with an extra set of hands in my classroom. At the end of last year she was not sure if she was going to move on to have a classroom of her own. I was worried that I might be starting this year on my own and I am so glad to know that I will have her by my side once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment