Thursday, September 12, 2013

green means go red means stop

The dreaded, yet helpful behavior binder
So it happened. My kinders started acting like their five and six year old selves. Thankfully, I was prepared for it. Last fall I took a classroom management class at the university as a part of my graduate program, and through that, I developed the foundations for my behavior management system. Therefore, when my kiddos started acting out - bam, they were handed the binder. 

Well, their parents were actually handed the components of the binder. I reviewed the rules of class with them all (they had helped to create the rules during the first week of school) and then went over the consequences of not following the rules. Sadly, I have had to send six yellow cards home this week. There was only one repeat offender though. If all goes well, they will be reminded that they are expected to follow the rules and the problems will become less frequent.

The basics are that: 
  • Green means go - all is well in the world of Room 1 Kindergarten. 
  • Yellow means slow down - make better choices, you get a note home and potentially lose 5 minutes of recess
  • Red means stop - you've reached the limit, you visit the principal, and get a note and/or phone call home (depending on the offense)
Here's hoping for a turnaround in Room 1 classroom behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment