Monday, September 9, 2013

half time

Today we had our first early release Monday of the school year. In my school district we have one day a month that is set aside for early release so that teachers can participate in professional development. This morning when one of my students walked in she excitedly declared, "Today we have half time! We get to go home after lunch!" This little kinder of mine started playing recreational soccer a couple of weeks ago and has clearly caught on to the lingo. As a former soccer player myself, I love that she referred to today as having half time and that she was able to connect the concept of half to something in her life outside of school.

When discussing that we had an early release/half day, later in the morning, I asked my kinders if they knew what the word half meant. The jumped on the question like the pepperoni pizza that I drew on the board to help them visualize half. One student helped to draw a line down the middle of the pizza. Other students declared that the two parts were halves. And even more impressive, they used our math vocabulary from the first couple of weeks of school and said that the halves were equal. 

Have I mentioned before how bright these little learners are? Knowing that I get to work with them every day just makes me smile. I cannot wait to see where we go as a community this year and how we are able to push one another to grow as students and teachers so that we get the most out of our kindergarten experience.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment