Monday, September 2, 2013

take it easy

I know that for many, Labor Day marks the beginning of a new school year. Here in New Mexico we are approaching our fourth week of school, and this three day weekend was a breath of fresh air. A chance to slow down for a little while and take it easy. Having three days to accomplish what is usually done in two means that you can squeeze some fun and exciting things into the mix (such as Saturday's trip to Albuquerque).

This morning I got up and did my usual workout before jumping into some grad school work. After a while though, I decided that I needed a break. So, the mister and I decided to head out to our local park and do some hiking (or rather, I hiked and he ran). It was a beautiful respite from work, a beautiful morning in the sun, and some welcome time with nature.

My favorite local hike: Pyramid Rock

Me, at the summit

A Navajo symbol of good luck or fortune: The horned toad
Last year I made a point of trying to hike Pyramid at least once a week in the spring. The last time that I climbed it was last May. It was nice to have a day to take things a little slower, to take it easy, and to enjoy my community. Of course, once we got home work began again, but that's okay. I had my break. Now I can jump back into my classroom full of energy tomorrow morning and cram five days of learning into four!

No comments:

Post a Comment