Monday, September 23, 2013

mobile learning

Today I submitted a grant to promote mobile learning in my classroom. This is not a very costly grant, but one that will make a world of difference in my opinion. I simply asked a local foundation to fund clipboards for my students.

Why clipboards? Well, quite simply, I want my students to be able to produce work at or in locations other than their work table. I want them to be able to walk around the classroom and find words that they would like to use in their writing. I want them to be able to be a part of math drama and use what they learned, in the moment, to solve problems that are on their worksheets. I believe that I can revolutionize the work that my students produce, simply by promoting movement while learning. It may sound silly, but I'm pretty excited about the possibilities if I am funded.

Just think about your school experience. When were you most excited about learning? Was it when you were sitting at your desk, staring into a book? Or was it when you were actually applying what you were learning, in a meaningful way? I think we all like to be up and moving, and I think that statement applies to kindergarten students even more. No one likes to be tied to one place, especially when there are more exciting alternatives to achieving the same means. My method of helping my kinders do that is clipboards.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment