Friday, October 18, 2013

crawling

I made it through all of last year without having any students get the lovely, crawling creatures that we call lice. Today, that streak ended.

I was testing one of my student on her reading level and sight word recognition and I saw a bug crawling around at her hairline. I would point to a word and then look up, it was still there. I would read another word and look up, it was still there. We had just come in from recess and I was hoping with all my might that it was just a little fly that got caught in her hair. Unfortunately it seemed right at home. I took her to the office and sure enough, that little creepy crawly was lice. And it had a big family. Her family was called and she was picked up and I let out a sigh of relief.

Then the school nurse screened the rest of my class. Six students were sent home with notes saying that their checks had shown signs of lice. One of the student's parents are not native English speakers, so I was able to use my Spanish skills to break the news. Thankfully all of the parents that I talked to said that it was just a part of being a child and going to school. 

It's true that that is the reality, but that doesn't mean that my head didn't suddenly start itching upon hearing the news (my hair is typically braided or in a bun, so hopefully I don't have anything to worry about). While I love my kinders I do not necessarily the ease with which they seem to share everything. And now I will go home and break the news to the mister that he needs to check my hair so that I don't go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment