Monday, October 7, 2013

progress

This week marks the end of the first quarter for my kinders. Due to fall break beginning on Thursday, this means that we have two days left in the quarter to nab our final grades and to catch up on the backlog of progress monitoring on students.

For those of you that do not know, progress monitoring is just that, a check on the progress that students are making so far in the school year. The two areas that I am focusing on right now are first sound fluency (a student's ability to recognize the first sound that they hear in a word) and letter naming fluency (a student's ability to name letters of the alphabet, both capital and lower-case, out of order). Today I focused on completing check-ins with my advanced students.

These are students that tested at a level at or above that which is expected for kindergarteners at the beginning of the school year. This is a level that gauges the skills that they enter school with and identifies the areas of need for the students. Today, my advanced students mostly monitored at the level that is expected by the time we break for Christmas. This is pretty exciting for me - the strategies that I am using are working on these bright little learners. 

Tomorrow, we'll see how the students that tested at below-level back in August. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment